Some retired GC faculty who do not have GC email accounts are given special retiree accounts for library services. Special retiree accounts provide access to articles, e-books, and other materials available through the GC Library's electronic subscriptions. They also provide access to GC interlibrary loan services. (For information about the different kinds of accounts for different types of retirees, see the Retirees page.)
How to find and access GC library resources:
- Get to know the GC Library website.
- To see and access all available databases, consult our list of databases.
- To see if a specific journal is available for a specific year, check our journal-finding tool.
- If the journal article you need is not available, you may place an interlibrary loan request from within a database by clicking the “Find It!” link accompanying the citation. Alternatively, you may fill out the ILL request form directly.
- You may search for any book that is not readily available at the GC in Worldcat and use the "Request through Interlibrary Loan" link. Alternatively, you may fill out the ILL request form directly.
- Furthermore, you may request electronic scans of print materials owned by the GC — one chapter from a print book or one article from a print journal. To request, just fill out an ILL request form.
- When your interlibrary loan request is available, you will be notified by email. Books must be picked up at the GC Library, but most articles/book chapters are delivered electronically to your ILL account.
Some tips for using GC library resources:
- If the database you're using has a citation to an article but not the full text for that article, you will usually see a "FindIt!" button next to or under the citation. Click that button to see whether the full text is available in another GC database. If not, you'll see a link to request the item via interlibrary loan.
- If you like to use Google Scholar, we recommend using the GC-customized version available on the library website. The GC-customized version knows the library's electronic journal holdings and (after prompting you to log in with your GC library credentials) links you directly to the articles in the library's databases.
- If you need assistance using GC databases or journals, please contact the reference desk at (212) 817-7077 or start a chat with a librarian on the GC Library website.
- If you need assistance with interlibrary loan, please contact ILL staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 817-7045.